Real Concerts, in association with M-Net and Hot 91.9FM are proud to announce that due to popular demand and extra Mango Groove 30th Anniversary Concert has been added at the Teatro, Montecasino on Saturday, 9 March, 2019.
In the words of Mango Groove’s lead vocalist, Claire Johnston:
“2019 is a big year for us as we will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the release of our very first album, Mango Groove. With this in mind, it seemed right to us that we put on a high production concert that showcases the highlights, memories and moments of that album, as well as performing all the other Mango songs that people have come to know and love through years.”
The Mango Groove album went on to become one of SA’s biggest-selling albums of all time (well over 25-times platinum), and produced a string of hits that to this day remain part of the soundtrack of South Africa’s journey over the last three decades: ‘Special Star’, ‘Dance Some More’, ‘Hellfire’, ‘Move Up’, and many more.
That first album release created the platform for what was to become a meteoric rise to fame for Mango Groove, and it paved the way for a host of achievements that set new precedents and records that still stand today:
- The successive releases of several more albums and hit singles, including ‘Hometalk’, ‘Moments Away’, ‘Another Country’, ‘Nice to See You’, ‘Bang the Drum’ and their latest album release ‘Faces to the Sun’.
- Setting new live performance benchmarks for all SA artists, being the only SA group ever to sell out the Sun City Superbowl and the Standard Bank Arena six times each.
- The band was the first to redefine live staging and production standards for SA acts; the first to command a million rand sponsorship deal, and were the first and only group to remain at the top of the SA national sales charts for over a year.
- Internationally, Mango Groove’s unique and magical blend of South African marabi, kwela and pop influences, together with the voice and presence of Claire Johnston went on to captivate audiences around the world:
Highlights of their career include:
- The direct satellite link- up to the Freddie Mercury tribute in London (to an estimated audience of a billion people); their performance in front of 200 000 people at the Paris “SOS Racism” concert; and their performance at the renowned Montreux Jazz festival where the band received 3 encores.
- From London to Hong Kong, Toronto to Sydney, the band has played to sell- out crowds around the world.
- Mango Groove was given the honour of being the only South African (indeed African) act to be invited to perform at the ‘Celebrate Hong Kong ‘97’ Reunification Concert. This historic event, part of the official celebrations commemorating the handover of Hong Kong to China, was televised world-wide and immortalised on a commemorative CD. It was followed up, in fact, by Mango Groove being the only SA act to perform at the globally-televised concert commemorating the handover of Macau to China.
- Mango Groove was also especially proud to have been associated with the ABC world- wide broadcast of Nelson Mandela’s release where their music was used as the main theme. A few years later they headlined at his inauguration.
- Mango Groove has long been aware of music’s unique power to change people’s hearts and minds, and through the years the band has raised hundreds of thousands of Rands for issues such as literacy, terminally ill children and conservation.
In founder member John Leyden’s words:
“In terms of finding the ideal partner for what is truly a very special event for us, working with Real Concerts again made perfect sense…Serendipity at its best! It was this very partnership that properly launched Mango Groove on a grand scale to SA markets in 1989, and it was a partnership that then powered its way through the host of precedent-setting achievements in the years that followed.”
What can we expect from the show itself, then? In the words of Roddy Quin of Real Concerts:
“Yes, the show will be a veritable memory-fest, and it will truly be a joyful celebration of all the Mango songs we have come to love through the years: All of this backed up, of course, with the best possible live production, dancing and performance standards. As importantly, though, it will be a celebration of South African-ness in all its glorious diversity: who we were, our transition, the great ongoing South African journey, who we are today, and what is still so possible for us as a country. This show really will move you in so many different ways.”
Mike Page, GM of Montecasino, says, “Montecasino and the Teatro are thrilled to be hosting such a momentous concert, marking Mango Groove’s 30 amazing years of enchanting South Africans and indeed the world with their very special sound. Montecasino is all about delivering memorable experiences to every visitor – and this event will fit that bill perfectly. We look forward to welcoming the band and the heart-warming and joyful celebration of one of country’s favourite sounds.”
Mango Groove’s 30th Anniversary Concert, The Teatro, Montecasino, Johannesburg:
Friday 8th March – 8pm
Saturday 9th March – 8pm
Tickets Available from Computicket – Bookings now open!
Popular SAMA nominated performer, Tailor has announced the South African schedule for her upcoming #1000MilesTour.
Tailor gained popularity after collaborating with LIVE’s lead singer Ed Kowalczyk, and has also shared the stage with top SA acts such as Locnville, Goldfish, Matthew Mole and Nakhane Toure.
In 2017, Tailor was honoured to be invited to perform as part of Johnny Clegg’s Final Journey Tour in front of thousands of local SA fans, as well as at London’s iconic Hammersmith Apollo.
British fans have since celebrated Tailor’s outlandish stage performance in the infamous Bedford in Balham that made Ed Sheeran famous (Ed Sheeran!!!!!!!!), the celebrated Halfmoon in Putney where The Who, U2, and Rolling Stones played and The Troubadour where Bob Dylan performed in his first show in London.
Tailor has confirmed South African dates for an exclusive two weeks in her #1000MILESTOUR. Fans will be captivated by her enigmatic performance and music from her three acclaimed albums: The Dark Horse, Light and Trust Part 1 as well as new music she has created with world-renowned musicians and producers alike.
A fan once asked Tailor why she was so quiet before her performance, and the young Tailor replied: “To save my voice, so I can scream on stage!”
TAILOR #1000MilesTour Schedule
Friday 20th – Barnyard, Rivonia @ 8pm – tickets R150.00 from barnyardtheatre.co.za or 087 236 3088
Saturday 21st – The Music Box, Observatory @ 7pm – R450.00* includes drinks, dinner etc as per below – bookings email@example.com or 082 4789 555
*ALL YOU CAN DRINK, dinner (super tasty vegetarian), show, tea/coffee and cake, your donation is R450.00 per person
Monday 23rd – Barnyard, Silverstar @ 8pm – tickets R150.00 from barnyardtheatre.co.za or 010 593 0744
Tuesday 24th – Café Roux, Cape Town @ 8.30pm – tickets R150.00 from caferouxsessions.co.za
Thursday 26th – Café Roux, Noordhoek @ 8.30pm – tickets R150.00 from caferouxsessions.co.za
Sunday 29th – Cottage club, Fishhoek @ 5pm – tickets R150.00 from firstname.lastname@example.org or 021 782 0931
Wednesday 2nd – Barnyard, Cresta @ 8pm – tickets R150.00 from barnyardtheatre.co.za or 011 478 5300
Thursday 3rd – Die Blou Hond, Pretoria @ 8.30pm – tickets R190.00 or R390.00 from http://www.casatoscana.co.za/events-shows/events
R190 for show, incl. popcorn, pre-drinks, coffee & tea OR dinner option @ R390 pp
Saturday 5th – Radium Beer Hall, JHB @ 9pm – tickets R150.00 from Andy 083 542 1044 or
Details for TAILOR
We know SA has world-class comic giants right here in our own country, and Blu Blood, in association with Comedy Central Africa is bringing them to Pretoria next month! This comedy extravaganza sees comic giants from around South Africa entertaining audiences at the Sun Arena Time Square, Menlyn (the first comedic event at the venue) on Saturday, February 10th, 2018.
The all-star line-up includes Riaad Moosa (MC), Alan Committie, Casper de Vries, Donovan Goliath, Gilli Apter, Hannes Brummer, Jason Goliath, Joey Rasdien, Khanyisa Bunu, Krijay Govender, Leeanda Reddy, Marc Lottering, Melt Sieberhagen, Shimmy Isaacs and Sifiso Nene, with a guest appearance by Morgan Beatbox.
“We pride ourselves on bringing world-class South African comedians to stages around the country. You’re getting a massive line-up of headliner comedians from start to finish. We’ve picked the cream of the crop and we’re excited to bring an even bigger and better Kings & Queens of Comedy for the first time to the Sun Arena in 2018,” says Osman Osman, MD of Blu Blood.
Don’t miss the Kings & Queens of Comedy, 10 February, 2018 at the Sun Arena Time Square, Menlyn, Pretoria. Tickets from R150 are available through Computicket online and the various retail outlets.
The show starts at 20h00 and is rated PG16.
Another hilarious production brought to you by Blu Blood in association with Comedy Central Africa.
You can WIN a set of double tickets to see Kings & Queens of Comedy!!!
Just let me know who you’re most looking forward to laughing at in this hilarious lineup on 10 Feb!
Closing date: Tuesday 6 Feb 2018
Winner announced: Wednesday 7 Feb 2018