Twenty Castaways arrive on the rugged shores of the Wild Coast in the first episode of Survivor South Africa: Immunity Island (Thursday 3 June, 19:30 on M-Net) with the nagging thought in their minds that even though they’re closer to home than ever before, they couldn’t be further from their comfort zones.
For the first time ever, Survivor South Africa, in partnership with the Eastern Cape Development Corporation (ECDC), plays out on ‘home ground’ on the East Coast of South Africa with twenty Castaways attempting to outwit, outplay and outlast each other for a R1 million prize and the title of Sole Survivor, over the course of 39 brutal days.
The Wild Coast’s beauty is matched only by the ferocity of the weather – but that’s not the Castaways’ biggest challenge. A new twist to the world’s greatest game – Immunity Island – is designed to be both a blessing and a curse. Immunity Island presents its visitors with tough choices, as well as advantages and disadvantages, that will impact their game. Some players lie about their experiences on the mysterious island, others pull out all the stops to secure a visit and the enigmatic location even becomes a strategic tool in the battle between the tribes.
Watch the season trailer here:
Reasons why you don’t want to miss the season premiere:
- The Castaways, divided into two tribes by random draw, are immediately drip-fed nuggets of information about the mysterious Immunity Island twist.
- The first Reward Challenge presents a dilemma, with a hidden Individual Immunity Necklace in play.
- The poison chalice of a Tribe Advantage sees the owner immediately put on the spot.
- At the one camp, everyone gravitates to one individual who near-instantly forms several alliances.
- At the opposing tribe, the Idol-seekers are out in force and a telling bulge in someone’s pants raises suspicions, leading to the formation of a formidable coalition.
- A tough Immunity Challenge sets the tone for the rest of the game, with the winning tribe selecting the first person to experience Immunity Island.
- Amidst all this, there’s harsh weather, a classic Survivor fire-making challenge, a castaway running naked into the ocean, secrets, lies, paranoia, a blindside plan, and an explosive Tribal Council.
Survivor South Africa: Immunity Island is produced by Afrokaans and hosted by Nico Panagio. The series will premiere on M-Net (DStv Channel 101) on Thursday 3 June at 19:30. Visit the M-Net Website for exclusive show content and join the conversation on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook using #SurvivorSA and #mnet101.